Monday, 9 January 2012

Mate, I ain’t your mate. An ill-informed food and beverage guide.

Saturday 7 January 2012

I’ve been doing a tad of research (on the plane leaving Perth; you don’t want to be over prepared), so was very excited when we found that the apartment we’d rented had a mate gourd and accompanying silver straw. Mate is the national drink of Argentina, and most of the surrounding nations, so I was chuffed to have a crack. Diligently researching on U-tube and Wikipedia I’d bought the most popular brew, had the technique down to the most standard position and knew the right fill. There was a warning that the first brew was a tad bitter, so I had a crack at that. Tasted like tea with grass and a bit bitter, then did the second draft and lost sight in one eye. Did the third and had a bowel convulsion. At this point I thought it might be time to gently introduce Tuna to this mighty beverage. She wasn’t impressed and put the coffee on. I think it might be a bit like Vegemite; you either grow up with it or can’t understand it. I’m in the later. Pity, I love the silver straw.

Mate Gourd, Mate and funky silver straw. Blah.

Food

The food is both superb and cheap (by Perth prices, but what isn’t) and the service is blindingly good. White linen table clothes and great service everywhere. But (sorry to bitch, I really don’t want to sound like a whingey tourist because we’ve had a ball here and love it), this is a nation that hates the vegetable with a passion.

What they do love and do very well is meat and cheese. Almost every meal will be a combination of both. It is also superb as long as you’re on a long haul trek with no dunny breaks. Really the meat here is pretty special because they understand it and do it well. But………..

I like my veg, I really do, we’ve been ordering salads when available but that’s just lettuce and tomato. Breaky is fruit with yoghurt, and a slice of multi seed toast, pre-dinner nibbles is a can of chick peas, but still we were getting desperate. So tonight we thought we would eat at home (we also had great Champagne to celebrate Hamish and Sumo’s nuptials and wanted to do this magnificent event justice) so we attempted to buy veg. Broccoli; no hope, 5 shops at it’s still yellow and wilted, mushrooms; one sweaty packet, eggplant; good, no worries; capsicum; lots, but dear god, after a year throw it out, onions; good. Now we go to fish. I don’t think they like fish. 5 shops and we found some prawns and some fillets of something full of bones. At the end of the day it was pretty good Paella, and some great wine.

Cow: Cow good.

Wine

Mendoza, people Mendoza!

Sod NZ, the race is run and won and the Kiwi’s lost.

But I’m not talking about the Malbec for which they are famed (the better ones are absolutely blindingly stonking), but the better Sav Blanc is just so blisteringly good; full of citrus and vanilla but with no acid but still a bite. Oh yum.

The wine here is fantastic as long as you get the higher priced ones (note: we’re buying them from the supermarket, but also see the same brands in restaurants). By higher priced I’m talking $10AUD and they are superb. Beer is about a $1.20 a litre (bottle refundable) from the supermarket and after a day of wandering around the city an absolute blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment